When talking about the most sustainable option for flooring bamboo and cork comes in mind. These both are also considered as the latest fad but they are also very environmentally and eco-friendly. They both are different in design but are most durable and sustainable floor options.
Why you should use Sustainable flooring
A flooring is called sustainable flooring when it has a material when harvested doesn’t deplete the present natural resources. Bamboo and cork are the two options that can regenerate and maintained for the indefinite time.
Main features of bamboo and cork flooring
- It is sustainable and nature-friendly
- The material is grass
- It has a maturity life of 5 to 7 years
- For harvesting, it is cut at the ground level
- When once harvested it regrows from the roots during every 5 to 7 years.
- It is sustainable
- The material used is wood bark
- It has a maturity life of 25 years
- When harvested the bark of the material is peeled away
- On harvesting, the bark regenerates while the tree remains alive
Why are these two flooring most sustainable
Bamboo is known to be the fastest growing plant in the world and it grows up to four feet a day. The bamboo to be used for commercial purpose comes from China and other Asian countries. The advantages of bamboo that makes it sustainable are.
- For designing purpose, it resembles the traditional plank wood flooring
- For installing it, glues nails and floating method can be used
- It is available in different colors which are both natural and stained
- It is hard in texture and is much durable
- The expansion and contraction of this wood is lesser than hardwood
The hardness of this wood is affected by the maturing time and processing method. The best sustainable bamboo has to be matured for almost 5 to 6 years before harvesting.
It is the type of oak which mainly grows in Mediterranean countries of Europe. It has a life span of hundreds of years the bark of which is harvested after every 9 or 10 years.
Major advantages of cork flooring
- It has tiles that be installed with glue and has planks that can be fixed with floating method
- It has variety of colors that are both natural and stained
- It has a noise reduction property
- The sunlight can have direct effect on its color that can fade